Sunday, July 21, 2013

What's new pussy cat?

I'm unashamedly a cat person. Cats are easy care, they don't smell and they are cuddly. I grew up with both cats and dogs (our ginger female Cindy made the front page of the local paper in 1977 having produced an amazing total of 118 kittens). The dogs were working farm dogs and we never had them in the house.

For the past five years I've had Burmese cats. This is Spike and Milly from a post two years ago. It was ridiculously expensive to buy pedigree cats but I think they are an amazing breed. Too smart for their own good sometimes and they rule the house, but they are well loved members of our household.

Today I did some experimenting capturing the look of Milly, our chocolate Burmese. The first is a cartoon version. She is a bit of a pouty, the-world-has-done-me-wrong cat and I think her face says that.



The next drawing was more of a realistic portrayal. I used a different style with dotting. This is the cat before I coloured her.


And the final illustration, coloured with Copics. It is amazing how the cat comes to life with shading and colour.


I've started a facebook page for my art if you are interested in keeping up with what I'm working on. You can also place an order for your own 'Life As I Know It' original through messaging to it. I'd love to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment