Sunday, November 20, 2011

All around the USA

I've just come back from five weeks in the USA and now I'm finding it hard to keep my feet on the ground and my mind in the mundane routines of daily life. I travelled right around the circumference of the great country - plenty of amazing experiences and people - and time just flew right by.

I won't even attempt to try and put the last month in one post so I will write several.

The main reason for travelling to the States was to compete in the International Sweet Adelines Convention with Christchurch City Chorus. I was travelling with over 100 of my chorus members which in itself was an experience as we were a force to be reckoned with in our CHRISTCHURCH ROCKS tees en mass on the flight from Auckland.

First port of call (en route from LAX) was Houston, Texas. I think I would also call it "City of Plenty". Everything was so big, wow! First impressions were the vehicles - Dodges, Fords, Chevs...there were pickups all over and they were massive. The hotel room had two huge king sized beds in it...the meals...the buildings...and I have to say, there was plenty of evidence that the city is one of the highest ranked in the country for obesity.

We arrived at night and it was really hot - 32 degrees and humid. Because our body clocks were so out of whack we didn't feel ready for sleep so a group of us went for a late night walk to the supermarket. Don't you love visiting supermarkets from different countries? I couldn't get over the ice cream. It was beautifully presented in upright freezers, a whole aisle of flavours and brands.




Check out the novelty birthday cakes!




No comments:

Post a Comment